Thursday 3 July 2008

Aviemore to Dalwhinnie

Today was beautiful in every sense of the word. The weather was great, the roads were silky smooth for the most part, and there was even a whisper of a tail-wind in places!
The evening before we got mobbed by the local midges, they ate us alive. We woke up in the morning covered in red spots, but that didn't dampen our spirits at all.
We set off in good time from the campsite and hit the road with the wind, literally, in our sails.
We plodded along and expected today to be just like the others.
A few miles in we were making our way south from Aviemore when I saw a cloud of dust a few hundred feet ahead, I thought it was just machinery as there were all kinds of bits of equipment scattered on the road. It turns out that I had just witnessed a 60 mph head on crash between 2 lorries and they had sandwiched a car, one had turned over and spilt its 'equipment' all over the road, blocking both lanes.
The traffic quickly backed up and Dad and I parted, I could fit past the crash but Dad had to re-route.
Not wanting to be a nuisance, but also very concerned at the same time, I approached the site and asked a few people whats was going on. No-body was really doing anything as it had just happened, the driver of one of the lorries was crouching on the verge, shaking like nothing I have ever seen. I gave him an energy bar in hope that it would help at least take his mind off the situation, and I pressed on. There were more than enough people there to help, and I was in no position to start playing the hero, so I plodded on past the crash.
After 3 days of traffic, skating the A9 with no-one around was surreal, I was taking full advantage of this by weaving the full width of the lane to keep speed down on hills, and finding the smooth spot in the middle of the road.
Not long after I had pressed on, Dad caught up and it was back to business as the traffic picked up again.
After a fairly mundane remainder of the day spent pushing along the A9, things picked up when a sheep ran at full speed onto the dual carriageway.
Desperate for a companion to share the road with, I embraced the new road user, and as the road was clear at the time, had a little skate with the highlander. He kept pace pretty well, and for a moment I thought he was with us for the long haul, but as an 18 wheeler approached, he felt it appropriate that he left the situation.
Maybe there is a world record for being the first person to skate with a sheep on a dual carriageway? I dont know, but it was hillarious nonetheless, and just the lift I needed.
A few miles later we waved goodbye to the A9 as we set of tomorrow for Tummel Bridge, sad to see the back of it, but relieved that we were progressing, slowly, but progressing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done bud, you're doing great! Hurtling through Scotland is an appropriate turn of phrase. Give Glasgow a special kiss for me when you pass it - and shout out to Loch Lomond (my first journey) if you see her. Enjoy the ride and all the interesting things you're going to see - what a trip! Skate Happy! http://www.happyskater.org xxx