Monday 7 July 2008

Falkirk to Biggar

After the drizzly day skating in Falkirk, it was nice to see that someone upstairs was thinking of us. We seemed to be the only part of the UK to have sunshine almost all day. As for downstairs, the roads were smooth, with only a few lumps and bumps, but i've gotten used to it being Scotland, it's a rarety to have smooth roads so I take advantage when they present themselves.
After leaving the McGill's house we headed to the Falkirk wheel, which was orginally going to be called the millenium wheel, but there was confliction with the London eye.
It was amazing to see the thing work, it transports canal boats from one canal into another by turning on an axle and lifting the boat about 70 ft into the air, where it joins the other canal. I know my descriptive skills wont have painted much of a picture for you, but I've just spent the last 8 days skateboarding over 250 miles, cut me some slack.
As for the skateboarding itself, it is going great, the first right shoe we started the trip on is now well and truly finished, the second shoe; which had been worn in by my dad, fits - if you'll forgive the expression - like a glove, which of course its doesn't because had I been skating in gloves for the past day I would probably be in the Emergency room.
Today was an average day, as average as skateboarding 30 miles can be I suppose, but we had no issues with navigation, or blisters, or even renegade sheep.
We have been put up again tonight by more members of the Rotary clubs which scatter the UK, My brother and his Uni friend are in one house, and I am further down the street.
Unfortunately the house I am staying in has no internet, so I'm stealing all I can while I'm here.
I hope that has given you your fix of blog for today.
I am on ITV Scotland around 6pm tomorrow, so if you are in the area you can tune in, and you can find it online if you go on the ITV website and then look for previous episodes and look for me in the scotland area. If you are reading this in the morning then please be patient as it hasn't been filmed yet!
More when it comes, and I'm sure it will.

2 comments:

S,P,T and C said...

Ben,had a quick look on the internet at the falkirk wheel,wow Brunell would have been proud,we are following your progress closely and will see you at Lands end, you're still the coolest cuz around. Good luck. Safe journey.

Jenny Jenks said...

You are doing brilliantly - keep up the good work - CORDA is proud of you

Jenny Jenks at CORDA