Friday 18 July 2008

Just north of Gloucester to Just north of Bristol.

Today was great; we had photographs taken for a local newspaper, and had an interview with the local radio. We also adopted a new style of collecting our funds, whilst moving!
Not that it was any choice of our own, but in 2 separate incindences today we received money at, pretty much, full speed.
The first was as we were just coming out of Gloucester, we had pulled into the right hand lane of a junction as we had to turn left then immediately right. Only on turning was it that we found that it was actually a dual carriageway, and people were now undertaking us at quite a rate. One passer-by was kind enough to offer a donation, unfortunately it was out of the window of her car, which was going at 15 miles an hour. Now although this is ultimately a fund raising exercise, I was a little hesitant in trying to grasp the fiver, which was at this point being waved ferociously as it was holding up a lot of traffic. I swerved towards the car, hitting more cat-eyes than i would have liked to, and, outstretching my hand I managed to grab the money and rejoin my lane with heartbeat racing.
The second was pretty much the same, but it was the support van that was offered money, not me. A van full of, well, white van men overtook and half way through the maneuver thought it would be a good time to drop in a small donation. So, the driver of the van searched his pockets, as did his friends, and the passenger thrusted a clenched fist towards the support van, which was quite heavy with change. The difference being in this case was that we were no longer on a dual carriageway, and the traffic coming the other way was beginning to look a little worried that the transaction may not be complete with enough time for the van to avoid quite a nasty smash.
Luckily there wasn't a head on collision, and it was the van driver who's heart was racing.
The rest of the day was fairly samey, after we met with the photographer we set off south on the A38 towards Bristol.
As I saw the sign it began to dawn on me that I really was getting close to the end. Being in the south came quicker than I expected, and to be honest I don't really want to be in the South. Of course I do want to progress, and I certainly don't want to turn around, but I don't want this to end. It's been such fun, and I have gotten to know some pretty amazing people, to name one, Sandy McGill's flawless talent of being able to turn traffic lights green from 40 feet away. I swear he had some kind of remote on him.
The trip has been a sort of self-discovery in a lot of ways, now bear with me here I'm not taking up feng shui or aromatherapy or any bollocks like that. But when you're alone for 80% of your day, with nothing to keep you company apart from your Ipod and the growl of a skateboard running over tarmac, you start thinking about stuff, mainly because you have nothing else to do. I think about the people at home who I miss, and although I don't want the trip to end, I can't wait to see some of them, so it's a bit of a funny position I'm in. But aside from all that I think the trip has been well worthwhile, and would reccomend an adventure like this to anyone, just don't go stealing my world records!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben,

I've stuck a friend request in on Facebook - if you are around Plymouth, and need a place to stay, provided I'm here, you are more than welcome to crash at my place. There's shower/bath, wireless and im sure I can sort you out with a bed.

Email me or get on Facebook!

Good work so far dude!