Sunday 6 July 2008

Crieff to Falkirk

Today saw the arrival of a new member of the support team; my brother Sam. He will take over from my Dad and will be accompanied by his Uni friend Tom.
After skating into Crieff the previous day, we met up with my brother and his girlfriend and stopped for lunch in a lovely café called number 24; who gave me my lunch for free. All we needed to do was wear our Corda t-shirts and the puzzled looks and questions came flooding in, which is more than I can say for the money side of things.
Because we have had so much time skating, we haven't had all that much time to get any funds up for the charity, but hopefully with an extra member with in the shape of Tom, we can try and get a few more pennies on board, no pun intended.
After Lunch we set off for the campsite, we pitched up with the car my brother had driven up in, and then we all bundled in the van, with not a lot of room to spare, and I tried to push on to do another few miles. 12 to be exact.
It started to drizzle so I felt it was a good time to call it a day, we pulled over before we reached the dreaded A9 again, and a trio of friendly bikers gave us £15 as I drooled over their rides, very jealous of their engines.
The next day meant farewell to my Dad. It was sad to see him leave to say the least, he had worked so hard before the trip and even harder during it. He had made my meals when I was too tired to help and still made them even when I was fine. Every turning, every decision to be made, he had planned the day before and was ready to tackle when they arrived. I hope when he reads this that he realises how much it meant to me that I was so dependant on him to be available and he was ready with everything I needed and more (which equates to me needing a drink, and him offering me a drink and a nutri-grain).
After our goodbye's myself and my brother set off in the van. Straight away we had problems as my brother wasn't used to indicating with the other hand, so was signalling to motorists on the dual-carriageway using his windscreen wipers.
We managed to navigate our way into Falkirk with no problems at all, then the weather took a turn as we stopped for lunch.
Fuelled up on yet more pasta leftovers, I was ready to brave the rain and pushed on for another 9 miles outside of Falkirk to give myself a headstart for tomorrow.
After swapping wet, sweaty clothes for my warm, dry hoodie we set off to my first nights sleep in a bed for 8 days.
We met up with Sandy McGill, a member of the Falkirk Rotary club, who are involved with various community bits, and offered to put us up for the night.
We followed his car for what seemed like hours, into a place we are sure we wont be able to navigate out of tomorrow. But that seems of little consequence now, as I'm sitting at the McGill's computer with a lovely 3 course meal in me, I can hear that double bed calling to me.
Goodnight.

2 comments:

John said...

Anyone reading this should know the comment received from Sandy McGill who put them up overnight in Falkirk.

He said they were lovely lads who do credit to their generation and he was delighted to have them in his home overnight.

Sandy also has close connections with the Scottish Daily Express and they sent a photographer to photo them and there was a full article in the paper.

Well done lads. Keep going.

Sophiie-x said...

Your doing bloody well Ben!!
You know that im here for you 100% of the way and iv been reading your blog and iv been keeping up with you!!
KEEP GOING!! :D :D :D
Love you lots x x x