Wednesday 2 July 2008

Dornoch to Inverness

Wow, 120 miles down and no major upsets. I'm really happy with the way the trip is going.
Yesterday was the trip from Dornoch into Inverness. My dad thought it best we got off the A9 and gave the traffic a day off from our interruptions, so we took a small road which was actually a shorter route than the A9 would have been anyway.
What a move, straight away the wind died down (which had been a 20 mph head wind for the past 2 days) and the road went from being loose gravel to ironed out tarmac, the traffic was minimal and I was let loose to get some miles down on the Scottish countryside.
There is a downside to skating on the country roads though; I appear to the locals (by that i mean midges) to be a 6ft tall bright yellow flower darting along the road. Almost instantly I was swarmed by tiny black dots, all wanting to get a piece of my high-vis shirt. A remedy I found was skating ahead of them a bit, then taking a mouthful from my camelbak and spraying it at the offending insects, a messy affair, but effective nonetheless.
After I did my whale impersonations and had gotten rid of the midges, we pressed on. Straight past a horse competition of somekind, and where there are horses theres sure to be, yes, mountains of horse poo.
One was conveniently left steaming in the middle of the road, as I swerved to avoid it I kicked up yet another cloud of black dots, which proceeded to follow me and my now horse poo flavoured wheels.
A few miles on we rejoined the A9 and things were about to get worse. We reached a mile long bridge, and as there were no layby's for Dad to stop in, he left me to skate along the footpath, which was riddled with potholes where the joins in the bridge hadn't met properly.
After I met up with Dad we had a 3 mile uphill climb, and then coasted downhill into Inverness.
We coasted into Inverness, quite relieved that we had survived almost 10 miles on a dual carriageway with no problems.
The evening before we set off, I rang Dave Cornthwaite (the only other person to skate the UK) for a check up and a chat about how things were going. He sounded happy that things were progressing well, but warned me that there was a 'big hill' the other side of Inverness and it was better to get it out of the way before the start of day 4.
I can tell you now, when Dave Cornthwaite says it's a big hill, it is a very big hill. It took me almost 15 minutes of constant pushing to reach the summit, after such a climb I was happy to retriet back into Inverness and find our campsite.
We are hoping to reach Aviemore today, it's the smallest mileage so far so I'm hoping I will get there in one piece.
A huge thank you to everyone who has already donated on the site. Keep it coming, because I wont stop skating.

1 comment:

John said...

Ben,

You have our greatest admiration for what you are doing.

Not many young people would take on such an immense challenge, which tests both mental and physical endurance to the limit.

So many young people say they are bored and there is little for them to do; perhaps your endeavour will serve as an inspiration to them to find ways of helping others and serving the community.

We, at CORDA are very grateful to you and all your sponsors for what you are doing.

I will be logging on to watch your progress every day and wish you good luck and God's speed. I look forward to seeing you at the end of your epic journey.

With best wishes,
John Stephenson
Co-Founder and Vice Chairman
CORDA