Saturday 19 July 2008

Bristol to Cheddar!

I am lucky enough to have a bed again tonight! I'm being put up by a couple who my mom knows, who were generous enough to lend us a bed for the night, and while were at it, I can steal their internet too!
Today was probably the most varied day I've had, I know every time I update things I say I've just had the most something, but today was quite special indeed.
It was the last day of my grandad taking over the navigation from my dad, and things started smoothly with setting up camp in good time, and having a meals on wheels delivery from two of my mom's good friends; Ali and Mary meant that the first night was completely hassle free, which was just what we needed.
After having 18 days of a pretty rigid routine, it wasn't hard to keep thing flowing the way they had been before, and with visits to local pubs being frequent, we didn't have to worry about washing up too often either.
Today we found a pub like no other, I forget the name but it's what went on inside which was so, er, different about this pub.
As we pulled up ot it, the appearance was just like any other pub, but as we drew closer we found that it was also a chinese restaurant, which had been sort of bolted onto the side as an afterthought, although it was probably a lack of thought more than anything.
We walked in anyway, still hopefull that we could have food from this hemisphere, and on asking the landland if food was available, we were showed the menu's for both English and Chinese lunch.
We were shown through into the resaurant area, which had to be unlocked from the inside to let us in, and we walked into what can only be decribed as a Chinese pub. There was a small bar, and the tables were laid with knives and forks, as opposed to chopsticks, but there were wicker partitions and oriental ornaments scattered about the room in a vein attempt that we might think we had stumbled upon some portal to Shanghai.
To keep things as simple as we could, we all ordered a steak, and the landlady was impressed that I had a similar taste to her in that I have my steak so rare it is still moo'ing when it's served.
After we placed our order th landlady approached with what, at first, appeared to be a breadbasket, but to throw us completely it was full of prawn crackers. Yes thats what I had for lunch today; steak, chips, peas, onion rings and prawn crackers.
After staring at the basket until the landlady had left the room, we all burst into laughter at the same time, which was just the boost we needed to keep the trip in good spirits.
After our very nice steaks we headed back to the road and completed the days skating, but the day wasn't over until we had our first confruntational meeting with the police.
On being asked to 'pull over', I dismounted the board and cooly approached the squad car and asked; "is there a problem?"
It appeared that there had been a complaint about our presence on the road, not that we were causing any particular micheif to the public, just that we were on the road and it wasn't to one persons liking.
I explained to the officer that it was for charity, and that we were nearly done, and he let us on our way.
Still, 800 miles and only one complaint isn't bad going...

1 comment:

Sophiie-x said...

Ahh your nearly there Ben!! =)
Sounds like your having a great time.
We all get 2 c you finish on Saturday!! :D :D :D
Not long now!!
il c you soon! KEEP GOINGG!!
Love Youuuu x x x x